Do you miss egg rolls? If you’re gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and nut free like me, there aren’t many easy substitutes. I tried a rice paper egg roll and it was a disaster. We still ate it (and it tasted good) but you had to peel through a gooey layer of slimy rice paper that didnt really fry up. I was staring at this opened bottle of Sweet Ginger Chili by the Ginger People, that we ate with the failed egg rolls, in the fridge (this stuff is amazing!) And decided I needed to try again. My filling turned out great but the wrap didn’t. Then I thought about an episode of Chopped Junior where the kids fried these rice paper looking things and they came out nice and crispy. Bingo! Unrolled Egg Rolls with crispy rice paper chips.
“Unrolled” Pork and Napa Cabbage Egg Rolls; Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Nut Free Recipe
- 1 lb ground pork
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1 head napa cabbage, chopped
- 3 baby bok choy, chopped (you can omit if you want but I jad them in my fridge)
- 5 carrots, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos Sauce
- 2 tsp Red Boat Premium Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- Sweet Ginger Chili Sauce by Ginger People for serving
Crispy Fried Rice Paper Chips
- Spring Roll Rice Paper Wrappersr, chopped into 1inch squares
- Avocado oil (for frying)
- Saute your ground pork until almost cooked through. Add green onions, napa cabbage, and carrots and saute. Once the cabbage is starting to wilt, add garlic, ginger, fish sauce and rice vinegar. Saute for about 7 minutes or until the cabbage and carrots are cooked.
- In the meantime, make your rice chips. be very careful with these I like a cast iron pan for this but you can use whatever you prefer. Have a metal spatula ready to remove them from the oil and a plate with some paper towel to put them on to collect excess oil.
- Fill the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of oil. Turn the heat to medium high. After the oil has heated, drop a test piece of the rice paper into the oil, it should crinkle up and fry pretty quickly. If it does, add more.Let them stay in the oil until they brown slightly but DONT LOOK AWAY! These will go from brown to burnt really quickly. Once browned, remove from pan amd let cool on the plate with paoer towel. Repeat until you've fried all of your chips.
- Serve your "Unrolled" Egg Roll with this delicious ginger red chili sauce, topoed with the rice paper chips.
Leave a Reply